söndag 22 februari 2009

Barbies and sticks

I was at a restaurant the other day with a good friend of mine. We tried to solve mysteries of life. We talked about our futures and our pasts. About how we grew up, what we played with. And if you discuss toys and games barbies are an unavoidable topic. We both agreed on barbies' unfunctional role in games and plays. It is after all a poor toy for enhancing children's creativity. We still played with them.

One thing that we (me and her) didn't have incommon was the roleplay that kids usually have with their toys i.e. when they lose themselves to another world by just using two sticks or a doll or a car and just pretend. And they can sit for hours making up stories, talking to themselves. She said that there comes a day when you just stop playing, when you stop creating this imaginary world, when you find all this silly. I think that day came into my life quite early. I allways envied children, like my little brother, who could put life into his Gi-joes, who could see stuff that I couldn't see. My barbies are and have always been dead.

But I realise now that I created my world in my head. I didn't need toys or to talk to myself to diappear in another dimension. All I needed was to shut my eyes and the world around me was gone. So to think about it, that day hasn't still come in my life. I still do that, closing my eyes and creating another world, another dimensions, where I am a prince or a bird or lifeless doll who somehow can feel the world around her.

Inga kommentarer: